Sunday, November 17, 2013

Common Reactions To Hearing Carla Sing

I am not just a runner and study abroad administrator. Nay, I am also an aspiring opera singer (hold for applause). I may not be the best singer, but, I think it can be safely said that I am one of the most prolific singers as I tend to use almost every opportunity to get in a little music, usually against the wishes of those around me. I wouldn't say I assault you with my constant singing, but, it could be counted as a misdemeanor in some states, I'm sure. It's not that I'm a bad singer. I'm sure anyone you asked would tell you I sing pretty well (hold for applause again). However, the fact that I insist on singing ALL the time can make me insufferable. I have recently been struggling with a bought of laryngitis and thus the usual constant stream of lyrical sound that normally projects from my mouth has ebbed. This has made me incredibly frustrated and, at the same time, relieved most of my friends.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure to hear my melodious voice, below is a chart of common reactions that I regularly encounter in regards to my singing. (Full disclosure: this chart is of course inspired by Alli Broch's blog "Hyperboleandahalf" and her hilarious Pain Scale Blog Post. I reccommend you check it out right away. Why are you still reading my blog? Seriously, go read her stuff. Way better).

Are you still reading? You must be my mom. Thanks Mom!




I regret nothing! Although, I do want to thank my college roommate Michelle for not murdering me in my sleep.

Also...since this blog strives to raise social awareness, I'm sure you've all seen/heard what has happened in the Philippines due to Super Typhoon Haiyan. The Red Cross estimates that 10 million people have been affected, with 600,000 being displaced and a death toll that has now risen to over 3,000, and this is still early on. There are still thousands of people still unaccounted for since the storm. The devastation to this region cannot be overstated. Please consider donating as this disaster has impacted one of the poorest regions in the world. Go to the American Cross to learn more: http://www.redcross.org/news/article/Red-Cross-Sends-Support-to-Philippines-for-Typhoon-Response. 

And, as you may have guessed, this marathon's cause is dedicated to those in the Philippines. Since I will be running in Thailand, it seems only appropriate that my run in Southeast Asia honor those nearby in the region that are suffering most.

I will be wearing the T-shirt below during the race. This shirt, designed by Dan Elijah G. Fajardo, is sold on Threadless.com at http://www.threadless.com/product/5495/The_Sun_Will_Rise_Again/. 100% of net proceeds from the sale of this T-shirt will be donated to Architecture for Humanity to support those affected by the devastating typhoon that hit the Philippines.


So do your part, no matter how small, this holiday season. You can even look fashionable while doing it. Reach out to someone in need and keep those in the Philippines in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment